September 30, 2020 – BIG Urges Congress to Secure Gulf of Mexico Access for Oil and Gas Production
May 6, 2020 – BIG Supports Lawsuit Reform Legislation
Since its founding in 1973, BIG has a strong history of supporting economic development, infrastructure, coastal restoration and protection, education, and public health and safety initiatives in our Bayou Region communities. This provides an opportunity for our members to advocate for or against critical issues in our area as part of a strong, active group of local businesses with a shared goal of growing and strengthening our region.
BIG and its members have taken action on the following recent legislative, regulatory and policy issues:
- SUPPORTED Act 443 of the 2019 Louisiana Legislative Session, which provides $150 million for the LA 1 Improvement Project from Golden Meadow to Leeville and a total of more than $500 million for several other state infrastructure projects.
- SUPPORTED key levee and coastal restoration projects for our region in the FY2020 Louisiana Coastal Annual Plan.
- SUPPORTED efforts by the Lafourche Parish School District in the 2019 Louisiana Legislative Session to secure $2.6 million in oil and gas royalty funds collected by the state from 2007-2010 and owed to the District.
- SUPPORTED federal regulatory reform initiative to revise Oil and Gas Preventer Systems and Well Control Rules to restore certainty and predictability to the offshore permitting and regulatory process and ensure continued safety and environmental protection on the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS)
- SUPPORTED the Terrebonne Levee and Conservation District’s request to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for “New Start” designation for the Morganza to the Gulf Hurricane Protection Project and federal construction funding.
- SUPPORTED expanded access to oil and gas development in the Gulf of Mexico OCS as part of the 2019-2014 Offshore Leasing Program.